The Spring Day Community Event
20 Aprile 2013
The event, organised by FoSSP and Kinglake TRA, in association with Groundwork, was a success. The event was our celebration of springtime and this year was also meant to celebrate the recent park improvements made under the Community Spaces programme (Big Lottery).
Plenty of sunshine and mild temperatures, after a very unseasonal cold spell, have tempted many local families and residents to join us in the park.
A partial rendering of the occasion can be found on Serge’s Webpage here.
The FoSSP Annual General Meeting (AGM) was held Saturday, the 26 January 2012 at Pembroke House / St Christopher’s Church.
It has been a lively occasion and focused the attention on the surprising large amount of work that the group has done for our little green oasis.
A shorten version of the minutes of the meeting (promptly and efficiently done by Julian) are available here.
Full version of the minutes can be obtained on request.
Improvements are being made using funds raised by FoSSP from the Community Spaces programme, funded by the Big Lottery and works run by Groundwork UK.
Peter Martin Garden
- adding two new wheelchair accessible raised beds
- selective tidying, pruning, & shrub clearing
New planting and trees
- planting shrubs, flowers, trees, and a wild flower area on the central bank
- installing a trim trail made from natural, sustainable materials (including parallel bars, sit, chin & step-ups) in various places around the park
- levelling out the uneven grassed space in the central area of the park
- installing of a natural play feature near the boulders and logs close to Alvey Street
- new signs around the park (this is still unfortunately in progress and it looks it will take time)
The Friends of Surrey Square Park is your local friendly organisation that try to protect and improve our little park.
The site is still being reorganised and new info and features will be added soon(ish).
Future meetings and activities are also to be found on the notice boards in the park (the ones that have not been vandalised!!):
Walkabouts (We meet and tour the park noticing points of maintenance and possible improvement)
10 November 2012 at 12noon
Usually an hour with sometimes a break, generally good fun.
You can get in touch by email or writing directly to this blog.